PHP 5.2.2 and PHP 4.4.7 Released
The PHP development team would like to announce the immediate availability of PHP 5.2.2 and availability of PHP 4.4.7. These releases are major stability and security enhancements of the 5.x and 4.4.x branches, and all users are strongly encouraged to upgrade to it as soon as possible. Further details about the PHP 5.2.2 release can be found in the release announcement for 5.2.2, the full list of changes is available in the ChangeLog for PHP 5. Details about the PHP 4.4.7 release can be found in the release announcement for 4.4.7, the full list of changes is available in the ChangeLog for PHP 4.
Security Enhancements and Fixes in PHP 5.2.2 and PHP 4.4.7:
* Fixed CVE-2007-1001, GD wbmp used with invalid image size (by Ivan Fratric)
* Fixed asciiz byte truncation inside mail() (MOPB-33 by Stefan Esser)
* Fixed a bug in mb_parse_str() that can be used to activate register_globals (MOPB-26 by Stefan Esser)
* Fixed unallocated memory access/double free in in array_user_key_compare() (MOPB-24 by Stefan Esser)
* Fixed a double free inside session_regenerate_id() (MOPB-22 by Stefan Esser)
* Added missing open_basedir & safe_mode checks to zip:// and bzip:// wrappers. (MOPB-21 by Stefan Esser).
* Limit nesting level of input variables with max_input_nesting_level as fix for (MOPB-03 by Stefan Esser)
* Fixed CRLF injection inside ftp_putcmd(). (by loveshell[at]Bug.Center.Team)
* Fixed a possible super-global overwrite inside import_request_variables(). (by Stefano Di Paola, Stefan Esser)
* Fixed a remotely trigger-able buffer overflow inside bundled libxmlrpc library. (by Stanislav Malyshev)
Security Enhancements and Fixes in PHP 5.2.2 only:
* Fixed a header injection via Subject and To parameters to the mail() function (MOPB-34 by Stefan Esser)
* Fixed wrong length calculation in unserialize S type (MOPB-29 by Stefan Esser)
* Fixed substr_compare and substr_count information leak (MOPB-14 by Stefan Esser) (Stas, Ilia)
* Fixed a remotely trigger-able buffer overflow inside make_http_soap_request(). (by Ilia Alshanetsky)
* Fixed a buffer overflow inside user_filter_factory_create(). (by Ilia Alshanetsky)
Security Enhancements and Fixes in PHP 4.4.7 only:
* XSS in phpinfo() (MOPB-8 by Stefan Esser)
While majority of the issues outlined above are local, in some circumstances given specific code paths they can be triggered externally. Therefor, we strongly recommend that if you use code utilizing the functions and extensions identified as having had vulnerabilities in them, you consider upgrading your PHP.