openSUSE 10.3 Beta2
Announcing the availability of openSUSE 10.3 Beta2.
Important Changes Since Beta2
* Kernel 220.127.116.11
* glibc 2.6.1
* YaST infrastructure was improved to allow writing complete YaST modules
* Bootloader-related improvements: openSUSE 10.3 will use "chainloader" if
it detects additional installations' bootloader code in other partitions,
otherwise "configfile" sections will be used (see Call for Testing below!)
* improved package lists of 1-CD GNOME and KDE
* countless bug fixes in every component
A more detailed list of changes is available from
Most Annoying Bugs
* Sax2: Configuration issues on Intel-based GFX-cards (#270846)
(A fixed sax2 package will be released via the 10.3 update repository.
Watch out for details on openSUSE-factory@openSUSE.org)
* Patterns of remote repositories won't show up in UI (#302385)
* libzypp: rpm signature verification broken (#302379)
* libzypp: Broken calculation of installing RPM size (#293039)
* libzypp: can't skip broken packages (skip => abort) (#297001)
* ConsoleKit fails on update (#302148)
* Signature verification of Release Notes fails
* Registration / Adding of Update Repositories fails (#302152)
(You might need to add http://download.openSUSE.org/update/10.3/ as an
installation repository, to be able to get online updates.)
* Intel wifi card support: iwl3945-ucode and iwl4965-ucode packages aren't
being installed automatically. Make sure to install them manually, in
order to enable your Intel wireless cards.
We'll keep http://en.opensuse.org/Bugs:Most_Annoying_Bugs_10.3_dev updated
as we go.
Call for Testing
If you want to help testing our standard test cases, please coordinate with
others and subscribe to opensuse-testing!
If you want to help with organized testing, the following topics should be
your main focus:
- compare lshal output with lshal output from Beta1
- check if you get an info on the desktop when you insert a
USB-disk/stick, DVD/CDs etc. and if the volumes get mounted correctly
- test if you'r able to umount/eject the media from the desktop
- try to mount LUKS (encrypted filesystem) media
- check if suspend is working correctly (via KPowersave or g-p-m)
- test if you can change the brightness of your laptop panel on Beta1,
are you able to do the same with the new HAL version?
* libzypp / Package Management / Update
- before you report a bug, make sure to check for duplicates
As we switched to using chainloader or configfile sections for other
installations, instead of just using the default entry as image section,
please check if all other installed operation systems are still bootable.
Media and Download
openSUSE 10.3 Beta2 for i386, x86-64 and ppc is available as different media
* 1 DVD containing OSS and NonOSS software
* 1 CD with a default KDE installation (not for ppc)
* 1 CD with a default GNOME installation (not for ppc)
* 1 AddOn CD with only NonOSS packages on it
* 1 AddOn CD with language packages that are used for extra languages (the
DVD contains support for english, french, italian, spanish, german,
chinese, japanese, czech, danish, norwegian, khmer, hungarian, polish)
(the DVD has support for installation in all languages, just extra
packages are only on this extra media)
* DVD containing the sources corresponding to the media
We have created Delta ISOs from openSUSE 10.3 Beta1. Please use them for
download. The DVDs and the source media are only available via bittorrent.
openSUSE 10.3 Beta2 is available for immediate download from
* http://software.opensuse.org/developer and
* http://en.opensuse.org/Development_Version#Downloads (which also includes
links to Delta ISOs)