Mandriva Linux 2008
Mandriva announces the availability of a new version of Mandriva Linux, with a lot of features designed to make it simple for first time Linux users. The latest version of Mandriva Linux 2008 comes
with many enhancements, including the newest versions of the GNOME and KDE desktop environments.
"We are particularly proud of the quality and the innovation of this new Mandriva Linux 2008. This is the result of both internal work and external maintainer collaboration," said Anne Nicolas-Velu, Director of Engineering.
The key innovations of Mandriva Linux 2008 include the following:
-- Desktop enhancement technology:
* Cutting-edge 3D-accelerated desktop courtesy of Compiz Fusion 0.5.2 and drak 3D
* The best of the open source world with the 2.6.22 Kernel, KDE 3.5.7 and KDE 4 preview, GNOME 2.20, X.org 7.3, RandR1.2, OpenOffice.org 2.2 and Mozilla Firefox 184.108.40.206.
-- Mandriva's simple tools:
* Windows documents and settings migration tool: a new tool for migrating from Microsoft(R) Windows to Mandriva Linux has been developed. The old tool "transfugdrake" has been revived and rebuilt to offer easier and faster migration for new users of Mandriva Linux and individuals wanting to run a dual-boot system.
* A new optimized control center and major enhancements to the powerful rpmdrake software installer which makes installation easy and extremely fast.
* A single, consolidated tool, Draknetcenter, to configure and manage network connections replaces the several separate applications from previous Mandriva Linux releases.
* Support for the WPA-EAP (or WPA Enterprise) authentication and security framework implemented in both the new network configuration tool and the net-applet network control panel applet.
-- Advanced support applications:
* A hardware detection sub-system, with modular IDE drivers and support for a lot of new devices, such as graphics cards, sound cards and wireless chips.
* The Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) allowing ISV, IHV and ODM to contribute to the Open Source world by building a knowledge base of hardware/software compatibility.
* LinDVD included in Powerpack wich enables users to experience DVD video and audio quality.
* TransGaming's Cedega is back in the Powerpack and brings you the thrill of blockbuster video games such as The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion'TM', Battlefield 2142'TM', Need For Speed'TM' Carbon and many more.
* And Fluendo plugins come with Powerpack edition: listening and watching movies easily and legally is no longer an issue.
All Mandriva Linux 2008 editions are available for download at the same time.
Powerpack 2008 is available at Mandriva Store at the same time as Mandriva Linux One 2008 for download on the network of public mirror servers. The box edition will be available on pre-order at 69 euro and $89 USD as the slim-DVD edition at 59 euro and $69 USD.