Compiz and Beryl reunited officially
After several weeks of discussion the leaders of Compiz and Beryl have agreed that the two communities shall reunite. This decision is supported by both David and Quinn and represents the majority decision of the administrators and developers in each community. At this early stage not a lot has been decided, but these are the main points of the agreement:
- As had previously been decided, Compiz will effectively split in to two divisions: Compiz-core and Compiz-extra.
- The Compiz-Core division will continue in the form described here. The name of the package will
- The Compiz-Extra division (what we think of as Compiz) will merge with the Beryl project to form a new community with the temporary name of "Composite
- The codebase of the new community will consist of the best plugins, decorators, settings tools and related applications from the Beryl and Compiz communities. We will create a code review panel consisting of the best developers from each community who will see that any code included in a release package meets the highest standards and is suitable for distribution in an officially supported package. Support for existing packages will be continued at least until the first stable release of the new project.
- The websites of each community will remain up and running until a new, user oriented site is completed. Since the forums are the heart of each community, they will be merged first. Once we have a single community forum we can use it to discuss the additional details, including the name of the new project, as well as setting the goals for the first release.
Congratulations to everyone who has worked to reunite the communities. Well done!